I am an author of romance books, in particular chic lit. The characteristics of chic lit include:
- character’s who are in their late 20's to early 30's woman
- the character is career orientated
- the character must overcome an obstacle in their life or career
- the book must include an element of humour/comedy
- main character is usually incredibly stunning and gorgeous
- as part of the romance category, sex is referred to but this is not erotica – this is a romance book though (this genre can broad brush sex and not be too detailed)
- most importantly the main character falls in love, and most secondary characters fall in love with someone too
- the book must have a happy ending
- usually involves one of the big, exciting cities in the world (often London and New York possibly Paris or Milan )
So, if I was writing for movies, I suppose I'd call the book a romantic comedy.
Information About The Book For This Book Cover Contest:
The book is about a pretty, 29 year old, go-getter advertising executive working during the difficult London financial crisis where every second person is losing their job.
When her largest client who owns a swimming centre and chain of pools, finds out she can't swim – what will she do? Will she step up to the challenge, learn to swim and keep or job, or will she try to resolve her dilemma in another way?
The book focuses on the main character learning how to swim (and learning about herself) as well as falling in love.
Love of course is the most important element for romance.
There is a sexy spin to the book and it's called 'Skinny Dipping'.
The Target Market
This is a light, fun book with a sexy element. It is a book a woman might buy to take to the beach, relax, nothing to serious but pure escapism.