DESIGN BRIEF - OVERVIEW
TITLE: The Strange Death of Fiona Griffiths
AUTHOR: Harry Bingham.
GENRE: CRIME NOVEL
You are designing a book cover which will (a) work beautifully at
full size, but also (b) be strong when seen in thumbnail view.
You will design a cover suitable for a paperback book of 6"x9" format,
but also for an ebook (format consistent with Amazon guidelines.) The
paperback book will be approximately 450 pages long.
SETTINGS & THEMES
The book is mostly set in Cardiff, in South Wales. The denouement is
set high on a mountain in the Brecon Beacons. There is also a lot of
dramatic action in a remote Welsh farmhouse. The heroine (Fiona
Griffiths) is a young (late-twenties) female detective, who spends
most of the novel working undercover as a cleaner and payroll clerk.
(The ‘strange death’ of the title is that Fiona Griffiths has to
give up her old identity and take on a new one for her undercover
The book is:
• Intelligent. (It’s more highbrow than an average crime novel)
• Dark / noirish
• Welsh – the Welsh character and setting are important
• Atmospheric / gripping / tense
The book’s heroine, Fiona Griffiths, is:
• Crazy: she’s in recovery from a (real life) condition called
Cotard’s syndrome, in which sufferers believe themselves to be dead.
(Check the Wikipedia entry on Cotard’s Syndrome for more about
• Small. (She’s five foot two, and small-built.)
The book is:
• not high action – there aren’t many gunfights & car chases
• not competing in the James Patterson / Lee Child market
• suitable for readers who enjoy intelligent, dark, European crime
/ mystery fiction.
The attached design brief offers some images of:
a) the Welsh landscape - the sort of things you might want to use
b) some crime book covers I like
COVER TEXT (front cover)
The book title is: The Strange Death of Fiona Griffiths
The author's name is: Harry Bingham
Front cover quote: "The most startling protagonist in modern crime
fiction." - Sunday Times of London
COVER TEXT (spine)
Title and author as above
COVER TEXT (rear cover)
Allow approx 150 words of blurb. This is not yet written, so just use
Allow room for 3-4 quotes