I'm looking for a book cover to a literary fiction, story titled: Without a Handle.
Here is the back cover pitch:
Bucky's never put much thought into his Korean heritage, not until his dreams of college football and his adopted family from the backwoods fall apart. With his dreams in shambles like the half-buried refrigerator in the front lawn and his life crumbling around him, Bucky's convinced that his only hope lies in finding out who he really is, and that journey begins with finding his real father back in Korea.
Young but wickedly insightful, hopeful and heartbreakingly vulnerable, Bucky narrates his surreal and comical adventures through a lush and unknown land, an alien language, and a Demilitarized Zone. He encounters spies and assassins, hunts mythic goblins and endures military conscription. In an effort to reunite with his father, Bucky will be reunited with his destiny.
Some thoughts about the cover:
- e-book/POD book cover design
- Genre: playful Literary Fiction
- Korean military service plays a big part of it. This photo might be useful:
And this explanation:
- It needs to get people the feeling hopeful and interested in a story about outsiders starving for acceptance.
- Needs to look good as thumbnail, so simple is probably going to work better. Simple and Striking is even better.
- Please no cliche` chopsticks, rice, kim chee.
- The title "Without a Handle" is based off an idiom used in the book: "Like a millstone without a handle." Not sure if that’s helpful. A millstone is definitely not a necessity for the cover.
- You can read a sample below for a few of the prose.
- I’ve created a Pinterest board. It’s just some pictures/covers that grabbed me as something that might fit. Interpret as you see fit and use your creativity.