High Frequency Word App
We are requesting an icon for an iOS high frequency word app that teaches children in grades kindergarten through fifth how to read and write words. The app has predetermined lists of high frequency words with the option to create additional customized lists. Once a word list is selected, the app shows the child the word with an option to have the word spoken aloud to the child if it is unknown. Next, the child looks at the word and closes his/her eyes in order to visualize it. The child then closes a “window shade” (shaded drop down, no pull ring or other device) that covers the word and the child writes the word in the space provided. The background or wallpaper that the child writes on will be a simulated blackboard. Finally, the child raises the window shade to check if the word was written correctly. The app will interact with the child with written and spoken words. The child will have a variety of mediums from which to select when writing the high frequency words (e.g. simulated chalk, paint, crayons...)
Thematically, the app should be seen as a teaching and learning tool. We imagine the app will be used by parents and teachers to teach children (Kindergarten through 5th grade) how to read, write, and spell common words.
We are going for a clean modern look, with some throwbacks like a blackboard wallpaper. The child will write with their finger, not a stylus. These shouldn't be construed as specific direction, but examples of the type of aesthetic we usually like. We definitely lean more toward flat, modern design, but we're open to anything.
- We like the idea of an iconic symbol that defines EverRate (i.e. the Twitter bird, the Evernote elephant, the Pinterest pin/P, etc), but we wonder how far we can go away from the blackboard icon. The blackboard and window shade are the most important functions of the app. But, again, we're open to all ideas. We like being surprised.
- We're mindful of the icon's colors flowing with the palette of the app's UI. We're open to all ideas and there's definitely room for adjustment in the UI, but we obviously need the icon and app UI to complement each other and flow.
iOS, iPad only
- Design must account for Retina display quality requirements.
- Delivery will include a vector version of the final icon design.
- Delivery will include a vector version of the design in a square format to be used for profile badges.
- Delivery will include color palette info.