I am looking for an illustration/concept art to be created for my newest horror/thriller feature script. Ideally, I'd love the image to not only reflect the tone and feel of the film but also depict a certain scene. Specifically the DEMON from the film. *See attached scene.
Imagine what you're designing as a STILL FRAME from the film. Not a poster or sketch.
Preface: I know I'm being SUPER specific, however, I'm completely open to interpretation.
TONE OF FILM:
The film is a dark (ha! of course) and gritty, road trip horror thriller. Independent film vibe with supernatural elements. Gray, rainy skies during the day. Crimson, cloud-filled skies at night. Think cold, rainy and ominous.
IMPORTANT ELEMENTS TO INCLUDE:
*NOTE, I've attached a rough yet ideal layout of the elements.
1) The DEMON (most important, description in reference). That said, the demon should be very hazy and barely seen. Think Lovecraftian, fear of the unknown. Spindly, rigid yet flowy appendages. Think more DEMONIC than a LOVECRAFTIAN octopus-type monster. Regardless, less is more and the parts we're not seeing are scarier than what we do see. Use the cone of light from the lamppost to help with that. Also see Stranger Things season 2 (Will Byers drawings for reference, but smaller in size of course. Some swirling, ink-like textures would be great too.
Also note: the reference in the layout template is purely that.
UPDATED DEMON NOTE: A lot of artists have been really doing great things here, however, the style of the demon keeps coming back slightly too 'creature like' and should be more of a terrifying shadowy apparition. Just a heads up as to what direction I'm heading. Thanks!!
2) WILL, smoking a cigarette outside the car, back to the camera, facing the demon.
3) The 1972 Black Dodge Challenger, google for reference.
4) A vague visual of JACOB inside the car, passenger seat. Pensive, starring at his father outside.
5) A light rain (unless it distracts/doesn't feel right, I'm open). At the very least, it would be great to have the PAVEMENT of the image have that rainy ominous shimmer.
- Darkness is key here. The light should all come from the LAMPPOST. All objects (car, Will, Jacob, monster are technically on the outskirts darkness.
- Atmosphere/parking lot should feel dark, cold and decrepit.
- The Demon should be the focal point of the image. The car, Will, and Jacob should all be to the left and right of the Demon.
- Probably obvious but it's nighttime.
- I'd love for this image to not only help sell the film but also serve as the POSTER for the film. See attached references. However, I still prefer a WIDE CANVAS. Cinematic.
But feel free to keep that in mind when designing the layout of the elements. Creative shading, vignetting, and angles would be a huge plus for a poster design as shown in the references. The IT FOLLOWS poster is a great example. Negative space is always a plus! (especially if I can place the TITLE of the film in that negative space. That said, no need to put any text on this and I'd still love a more wide, cinematic image rather than the typical poster size.
- I'm thinking like a dirty fluorescent, cold, dark GREENISH hue for the lamp.
- Would love a cloudy, reddish night sky.
- WILL: I know it's from behind so it doesn't really matter but think Justin Theroux, disheveled, grizzled. Dark jean jacket, jeans, boots. **See attached reference.
- JACOB: A 14-year-old boy, young version of his father.
I know I'm getting super specific but I am no artist so I implore you to take creative liberties here. You're the expert.
Thanks so much all! I truly appreciate all your efforts in this.