We are looking to replace our existing logo with something new and fresh. Our site has been running over 4 years now, which you can find at http://www.freebookfriday.com. Our site has been updated, but we've had the same logo since we opened and it just isn't working anymore.
Note that we are considering the logo to be the rectangle box containing the books and the words Free Book Friday. The bookmarks just above the primary navigation will stay.
Here's what we don't like about our existing logo:
1. It takes up the full width of our site's header and does not leave room for an ad
2. It incorporates an image of books that needs to be contained within a rectangle
3. The wordmark is dated
4. The colors do not match our updated site
That said, here are the goals for the new logo:
1. It should be small enough to leave room for an ad
2. It should stand on it's own (it should not require a border, baseline, etc.)
3. A fresh new wordmark
4. Colors should match the "island" inspired color scheme new site
We have uploaded 3 PNG's:
Current-Site-Header.png, which is our existing site, with comments
Blank-Site-Header.png, which is also our existing site, with space for the new logo and a 468x60 banner ad allocated. This file has a layer to drop in the new logo which you can use to create your comps if you'd like (note that we're not requiring this; we don't want to cramp your style!).
Assets.png, which contains our existing assets that you are welcome to use in your designs.
We also uploaded a new logo comp that we kind of like. Here's what we like about it:
1. It incorporates the bookmark design (referring to the bookmarks just below the logo, above the primary navigation in the header)
2. It's in our color scheme
3. The font (Tandelle) is very readable with a little playfulness to it
Here's what we don't like about it:
1. It looks good in the site, but not as good on its own in other applications (business cards, invoices, coffee mugs, etc.)
2. Sometimes we use "FBF" as a shortened version of our logo/wordmark, which works well with our existing logo since the first letters are in a different, more prominent font. Having everything in the same font might limit this application.
3. It's not quite as fun as we'd like.
For the new logo, here are a few things we'd like to play around with (in no particular order, and all are not required for a single design):
- Different font/treatment for the first letters (FBF)
- More colorful (feel free to pull colors from the bookmarks)
- Designs that incorporate the bookmark(s)
- Designs that incorporate vector book image(s)
- Designs that incorporate vector image(s) of something other than a book or bookmark that suits our site
We look forward to seeing your ideas!