Hello from Lusaka, Zambia!
I'm Liv from The Zambezi Exchange!
I live in Zambia and I make clothes from local African fabrics. I am starting a social enterprise that will be teaching young people from a compound in Lusaka sewing and tailoring skills. Additionally, The Zambezi Exchange will be sewing locally made crafts, like baskets, wood carvings, furnishings, jewellery, etc. I hope to sell the crafts in America and abroad...and to support the local communities by supporting artisans as well!
I am looking for a great designer who wants to design a logo for The Zambezi Exchange! Have I caught your attention? If so, here is what I'm looking for:
- Logo needs to be "stamp-able": Since I do not have access to many imported things in Zambia, I will likely have to get a stamp made to hand print the logo element onto fabric or paper tags.
- My goods will be sold in higher end shops in America...so it needs to speak to higher end clientele
- Afrochic: Yes, the goods are made in Africa, but I do not want a logo that is cliche, kitschy, cheap, touristy, or cultural appropriating. The logo shouldn't look like something for a cheap tourist store at the Johannesburg airport. That being said...I want it to feel "African." Tastefully African. Hope that makes since.
Design artwork: You have two options here. I want to see whichever you're inspired by!
1) A Baobab Tree: Baobabs are very special to me and the Zambezi valley, so I am quite interested in having a baobab as my logo. However, I worry because baobab trees appear on a lot of logos, so it would need to be something fresh! And something that would look great as a stamp!
2) Nyami Nyami: Nyami Nyami is the Zambezi River God...the most important god of the Tonga people in Southern Zambia and Northern Zimbabwe. You can read more about Nyami Nyami if you Google it, or on Wiki here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyami_Nyami
Nyami Nyami is quite a scary looking god...I'm hoping for a fresh interpretation that would look great as a stamp. I still want it to be recognisable, but let your imagination soar!
-The font will also need to be "stamp-able" so something bold!
I would like to logo to art element and the font elements to be able to that can stand on their own OR work together!...the words "Zambezi Exchange" and the artwork should be able to be placed together....but also...the words Zambezi Exchange and the artwork should be able to be independent
Here is where I will be using the logo...just to keep help steer your designs:
1) clothing labels in the back of shirts and pants
2) clothing labels on the hem of clothes, like:
3) on a label sewn onto the outside of bag like:
4) stamped on the outside of a shipping box like :
5) intragram, etsy, facebook profile photos (so maybe I'll need a design element that is square?)
6) stamped onto tags that will be attached to baskets, wood carvings, etc. like:
Here are a few links to images of the types of goods I will be selling, to give you some extra inspiration:
-Bamileke Stools: https://www.google.co.zm/search?biw
-Mud cloth: https://www.google.co.zm/search?biw
-African baskets: https://www.google.co.zm/search?biw
Please do let me know if I can provide additional information!
Cheers from Lusaka! I look forward to working with you!