Hintonbrew will be a craft nano-brewery located in Hintonburg, a community within the city of Ottawa. Hintonbrew is passionate about local crafted beer and its heritage.
- Settled in 1826 & incorporated in 1893 when it became big enough, then annexed to Ottawa in 1907.
- Community named after Joseph Hinton a local community leader who was of English origin.
- Originally settled by English, French, Irish and Scottish settlers.
- A famous landmark includes Saint-François d'Assise church (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S…Ottawa.JPG) which highlights some of Hintonburg's French culture.
- Hintonburg once had a street car running through the community, which made Hintonburg an ideal home to blue collar workers. The street car no longer exists.
- Ottawa is the capital of Canada and comes from the Algonquin word adawe, meaning "to trade".
- Philemon Wright first settled the area in 1800 for timber and agriculture.
- Wright supplied the British navy with timber during the Napoleonic War, which he floated down the Ottawa river in rafts to the shipyards in Quebec city. (http://www.lessignets.com/signetsdi…wright.jpg)
- Ottawa's first name was Bytown named after British Colonel John By who oversaw the construction of the Rideau Canal, which was built as a military line for the British from Kingston to the Ottawa River (Ottawa). Now it's the world's longest skating rink during the winter.
- Bytown was renamed Ottawa in 1855 and was chosen to be the capital of Canada by Queen Victoria in1857.
The people and the community
- Hintonburg was traditionally known as a tough area and for the most part, there is stilll a bit of pride associated with the tough persona.
- Hintonburg was originally comprised of blue collar workers. However, Hintonburg is now in a transitional period were it is a mixture of both blue and white collar.
- Even though Hintonburg is a transitioning community, the people of Hintonburg are proud of where the community comes from & of its working class roots.
- Hintonburg is also known for its growing arts community and restaurants.
- Hintonbrew will brew quality craft beers that are consistent with Hintonburg's roots and traditions -- British, French, working class.
The Hintonbrew Crew
-Passionate about locally-crafted beer.
-Believe in strong connections to heritage and community.