Welcome to the contest!
This is my first time judging a contest like this, so please bear with me! I'm a designer too and know how easy it is to have your feelings hurt, so I'm trying to give plenty of good feedback along with the bad.
If I just give you positive feedback but immediately eliminate your design, then it probably means I might like your design but the direction isn't right for this contest and please take a different direction (although I might do this if you give a zillion variations.) Try something new, and don't be afraid to move away from the rocket idea if you have something good. I've seen some great stuff with people doing things like paper airplanes, astronauts, planets, stars, people in free fall, etc.
Sometimes people submit designs and I have to go back and compare them to see what the difference is. Please only submit variations if they're actually DIFFERENT in a substantial way. (thanks for that!)
I'm trying to give feedback for EVERY logo, but it's exhausting to spend three hours a day giving some good comments on the more than 100 logos that come in every day.
- Please don't abbreviate, or use the number zero (or variations), or ".com"
- The logo must contain "Zero Grav" somewhere, and no other text
- Please use bright colors unless you're going for a retro or cartoonish look
- Not really looking for a high tech logo
- Please show logo on either black or white backgrounds, or both -- especially no gradients for backgrounds
- Prefer Web 2.0 gradients unless you're doing some good shading for a rocket or something. Google for "Web 2.0 Gradients" for your program
- Please crop tightly around your logo so that it shows as big as possible in the preview. I usually don't open the logo in a new window to see the details (and it's a logo, so it should work at small sizes)
- Vector logos only!
- If you are using stock illustrations, you must state so in the comments along with the license and costs if any.
- Please stick with lowercase, sans-serifed fonts unless you have a good reason not too.
- Don't go crazy with a zillion color variations unless they really do something with it. I'm a designer too and can generally figure out what I'd like to do with colors.
- Think friendly, simple, Web 2.0. Maybe flowing or retro, depending on your logo
- To see the logos I like, change "Show Only" to show only four and five starred logos.
- It's ok to copy ideas, but you must be original in your artwork.
- Please do SOMETHING with the font -- hand kern if needed, round corners, whatever. I see a lot of stuff where people draw (or download) an illustration and pair it with a basic black Arial font. Need a bit more than that.
- Please no jumbled letters. It's just hard to read and doesn't feel like "design"
- Please avoid rainbows and elements of other company's logos or trade dress like apples or coke bottles
Thanks for participating in this contest!
- Logo will be used on website and in print
- Prefer modern, rounded fonts
- FRIENDLY logos, please... too many hard angles are not what we're looking for. Think Apple's logo
- rockets are cool, but any iconography that represents zero gravity, space, or anything else works!
- Logo may be used as a two-color imprint (possibly transparent) on printed materials, embroidered materials, favicon (16x16), etc.
- Logo may be used on pages designed by non-designers with garish color choices ;-)
- Logo should look good on both dark and light backgrounds.
- Part or all of the logo should fit into a 16x16 pixel area for favicons, or something small and cute that has similar style (this is tough, so wait until final selection to give it a try)
If your logo makes it into the final selection and can't be reduced to two colors without dithering, please provide an edited version that will work for two color printing as well.
We prefer vector logos if possible, so that we can resize for whatever need we might imagine. We don't have any font or color preferences, but tend to lean more toward brighter colors and sans serif fonts.
We will need a full copyright transfer/release with all rights in any medium for any legal use worldwide for the winning logo.
We provide comments on EVERY entry and will star the entries as well! We know how hard a good design is to do and thank you in advance for your hard work!