http://www.motherinlawstories.com is a million+ page views per month web site that provides a place to share stories, get advice, and relieve family stress and tension. It is about people's relationship with their mothers-in-law and SO much more. We are an extremely supportive community that helps one another through the good and the bad.
Our readership is 75% well educated married women.
We have been using "the lady with the umbrella" for 10 years now, and it is time to update her. What we liked about her:
1) Female - matching our demographic well
2) Well dressed - again, matching our demographics
3) Her umbrella is not up or down - sometimes people stop by to share a troubling story (umbrella being raised), sometimes they stop by to share a funny story or a happy ending (umbrella being lowered). The umbrella being in the middle like it is works well either way.
4) It is clearly windy AND sunny - again, that mix of good and bad
5) Her color scheme of her outfit matches the color scheme of the web site.
We would love to update her, not completely replace her. She exists on every page of the web site, and is instantly recognized by any of our readers. The value to that is, if we add any new feature, but keep the color scheme the same and have her on the page, it is clear it belongs to our site. So, we are looking for something creative that is clearly new, but just as clearly ties in to the old so we do not depart drastically.
NOTE - it is purely the ICON we want. Not our name at all. Our name is clearly present on the site, and is not needed in this artwork. Please do not submit anything that contains our name or any other text.