We need a vivid poster for an upcoming lecture course on China, one
that can catch attention from 100 feet away, but also provide some
detailed information when read up close.
BE BEAUTIFUL: This course takes students through 200 years of
revolution, philosophical iconoclasm, poetry, art, war,
famine, spectacular growth, power, gender upheaval, poverty,
international intrigue, and confusion. The poster should reflect this
and be a thing of beauty.
DON’T BE BORING: Help us reimagine the “course poster” and bring
it into the 21st century. Please draw inspiration from other
traditions of poster design, whether rock concert posters, the Vienna
Secession, Madison Ave design, or otherwise.
NO STEREOTYPES OR “CHINOISERIE”: Avoid at all costs “faux
Chinese fonts,” dragons, kung fu, yin yang symbols, and any other
silly, stereotypical images or ideas. Not only should the poster
itself be modern and compelling, but also the substance portrayed.
Poster Dimensions will be 11 inches by 17 inches
PLEASE NOTE the poster must include the following information (but
layout is up to you).
1) IMAGE: A compelling drawing, image, graphic up to you to
2) COURSE TITLE: History of Modern China
3) COURSE #: HIST 22/122 (real course # to be provided later in
4) LOCATION: Brubaker Commons Room 327 (real location to be provided
later in private
5) INSTRUCTOR: Joe Smith (real name to be provided later in private
6) QUARTER: Winter 2015
7) DAY/TIME: Mon/Wed 9-10:30am [NOTE: FORMAT OF TIME/DAY IS UP TO