We’re looking for an eye-catching poster for a new play about bullying.
The play is a drama with serious themes.
The title art will give the show it’s visual identity and will be used to promote the show. It will also be available to schools who license the show for use on t-shirts, posters, programs, etc.
The play is called BEFORE THE BELL.
The play takes place during one 20-minute period before school, where through a course of events tensions rise and two bullies end up beating up a kid. But we see this 20-minute period repeat 3 times, each time from a different perspective. Once from the victim’s perspective, and two more times from each of the bullies’ perspectives.
It’s a story told form all angles - to show the many different factors that can lead to an unfortunate incident. It also explores the role bystanders play in these situations.
The title art should have the text BEFORE THE BELL as the main focus, underneath the title is should read in much smaller size “A Play About Bullying”.
Underneath that should be the following:
We're looking for something that is hip, clean, bold, contemporary and edgy. Ideally something that evokes a bit of suspense. We definitely don't want anything too “cartoony” or “kiddy”.
The title text itself must be large and clear. If it were printed and posted on a wall it should be very clear to read from a distance.
Possible imagery to include can be:
- school hallway
- silhouettes of bystanders
- silhouette of 1 victim, 2 bullies
- backpack fallen to the ground
- school silhouette
Possible directions could be:
1) The title art, clear and strong, with the shadow of bystanders standing all around it.
2) The title written on the texture of a school locker.
3) The title that somehow shows different perspectives, or silhouettes carved out of it.
4) Title clear and large, with backpack laying tossed on the ground
5) Tiny landscape of school yard below, early morning sky taking up most of image with the title floating above
It does not have to be complex, simple is good.