PURPOSE OF THE PROJECT:
Our winery seeks a complete re-design of our “Day of the Dead” brand of wine. The brand name of the wine is officially “Vinos de los Muertos™”, translated to “Wine of the Dead”. “Day of the Dead” is an Aztec celebration of life, not death.
** Please, we ask that if you are not familiar with “Dia de los Muertos” or “Day of the Dead” culture and tradition, please do not submit an entry to this contest. **
The scope of this project is complete packaging re-design for Bottle #1 under our brand of “Vinos de los Muertos” wines. The winning designer of this contest will be later contracted to design bottles #2, #3, #4, #5, and #6 of the Vinos de los Muertos wine.
The wines in this set will all be packaged into conventional 750ml wine bottles; however, the wine bottles will NOT use conventional labels on the front and back of the bottle like most wine bottles. Rather, the bottles will be packaged using a plastic heat shrink sleeve that covers the entire bottle with graphics front-to-back, and from head-to-toe.
ABOUT THE PRODUCT:
In Summer 2013, Vinos de Los Muertos Winery will be nationally launching the 2nd version of its “Vinos de Los Muertos” wine. Specifically, contestants for this contest will design the packaging for our “Rojo Dulce” wine, a sweet red wine.
The suggested retail pricing of the wine is $11.99.
ABOUT THE ARTWORK:
The new packaging for the 750ml bottle will apply a heat-shrink sleeve that will cover the entire bottle from head-to-toe, front-to-back. Using a sleeved package instead of standard wine labels allows the designer to apply graphics and text to the entire bottle, including the body, shoulders and neck of the bottle.
DIMENSIONS OF THE SLEEVES:
Canvas area of sleeve: 280mm Height x 251mm Width.
The left side of sleeve will be front panel of bottle.
The right side of sleeve will be the back panel of bottle.
THE REQUIRED THEMES OF THE PACKAGE:
• “Dia de los Muertos (Spanish)” or “Day-of-the-Dead (English)”
• We are looking for original art – absolutely no clipart
• Please do not participate in contest if you have no “feel” for this genre of art & culture.
• Use bright Aztec colors, such as red, orange, yellow, purple, black, white etc.
• Create a skeleton character for the wine you choose, male or female.
• Eventually, we would like to create a different skeleton character for each of the 6 wines under this brand.
• The package needs to be classy and elegant. We do NOT want a “Satanic” or “Halloween” look to the package. At the other extreme, we do not want something that looks like a “Cartoon” or “Clown”.
THE PACKAGING MUST INCLUDE ON THE BACK OF THE BOTTLE THE FOLLOWING TEXT:
(1) “Crafted as a celebration of life and a reminder of our mortality, this ‘Vino’ melds dark and light into one. An altar of perfumed flowers and pronounced sweetness exhumes deep fruit and mild spice into brighter spirits as it finishes smooth, lingering in remembrance.
(2) “PRODUCED AND BOTTLED BY VINOS DE LOS MUERTOS, DEMING, NEW MEXICO”
(3) A blank area on back label for UPC barcode (0-XXXXX-XXXXX-0).
(4) “GOVERNMENT WARNING: (1) ACCORDING TO THE SURGEON GENERAL, WOMEN SHOULD NOT DRINK ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES DURING PREGNANCY BECAUSE OF THE RISK OF BIRTH DEFECTS. (2) CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES IMPAIRS YOUR ABILITY TO DRIVE A CAR OR OPERATE MACHINERY, AND MAY CAUSE HEALTH PROBLEMS”
(7) “Contains Sulfites”
ATTACHED INFORMATION TO PROJECT BRIEF
(1) PDF file, Bottle Dimensions
(2) MS PowerPoint – OLD packaging designs for Vinos de Los Muertos, for both our white and red wines. However, ** We want a sleeved wine bottle, not a bottle with labels like those shown **