theSpaceUK is a production company specialising in live theatre, music and event production.
We have 20 years experience in producing an array of live production across all genres of performance art. Our Award winning Edinburgh Festival venues have become widely established and continue to host some of the festivals most talked about shows.
Our target market is the visitors to shows running in our theatres - primarily UK based. However, the Edinburgh Festival attracts visitors from all around the world, so this also needs to be taken in to account.
In addition to people who visit shows in our theatres (and our other events), we also need to target the theatre companies themselves - i.e. the people who put on the actual performances in our theatres.
Both of these target markets are pretty non-technical, so we need to treat them kindly with a fairly straightforward and streamlined interface.
TheSpaceUK is a British based company that operates theatre venues for the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. theSpaceUK also operates other events around the country. We need a fresh look and feel for theSpaceUK, as the current site is rather clunky and outdated.
The new design should be modern and stylish, but without being too brash and over the top. We need to portray a professional image whilst clearly being more of an "arts" site rather than a corporate feel.
The brief is to design the homepage for the new site, and provide an intuitive navigational system that allows quick and direct access to content deep in the site.
Please note that when using our brand it must be spelt exactly as follows - "theSpaceUK" - i.e. no spaces and a lowercase "t" at the start.
We have an existing logo which we need to keep. The colours can change if needed to fit it in to the new page design. See attached files for details.
The final delivery should include a style guide for the site in general - providing information such as:
- font faces and sizes for various heading styles
- unvisited, active, visited hyperlink styles and colours
- paragraph/body text style
- standard margins and paddings used
The final delivery should be in the form of a layered Photoshop document, with an accompanying PNG image of the flattened design.
We need a new homepage designed.
The homepage must provide areas for:
- introduction text - describing what we do and our awards and achievements etc
- latest news - this is rather seasonal so the news section should be removable without hugely impacting the layout of the page
- venue information - e.g. like the table of venues listed on our current homepage
- promo for latest image(s) from a photo gallery section of the site
- promo containing link to a page showing last year's shows listings
- promo containing info on payment deals - e.g. straight hire or all inclusive package
- various other promo areas - e.g. testimonials, bookings, venue locations
- Twitter feed
- sitemap links (at bottom of page)
One problem we currently have is that the homepage is rather text heavy, so one of the challenges is to permit a lot of text on the page without overwhelming the user.
See the current web site at: http://www.thespaceuk.com/
The current site just looks rather dated and in need of an upgrade! The navigation system could be more intuitive. We need to be able to get users to specific deep pages as quickly and easily as possible.
Finally, we are using the right hand column as a general promo area, but nothing really stands out. We need promo areas that are distinctive and draw the eye of the user.